drill bit question

nrscroller

HI all

My FD Puzzle blades say I need to use a #71 wire bit. I did that, in my dremel plunge router and the blade will not go through the hole. Somebody is wrong. Why do they say to use a number 71 when it won't work? that is what it says on the FD chart for that blade I dropped to a 68 and it went thru fine.

Interesting fact I thought I would point out.

Bill

A quick check online shows that a #71 drill bit is .026" dia. A #2 FD puzzle blade is .015, while a #3 is .031 so iin that case would not fit in the hole.

Another thing is check the drill bit. I have found that in some of the less expensive drill sets the marked dia is more of a suggestion than the actual dimension of the drill.

I am lazy ,and loose charts ,so for 10 Bucks a hf on sale I got D. calipers ,and go by that ,never been wrong yet Handy for all kind of things ,I keep one pair in both shops , Being an old fieldservice engr. never saw a print or a chart  that was totally Accurate ,and rebuilt kits ,seldom complete and  usually wrong (oh!  You have one of those!) (Oh! Yeah !! I see your notation now !!) Well it's friday I can't get any thing shipped till monday ,if we have all the parts ! So I quickly learned  trust but verify ,CYA !! 

I check all my drill bits with a Electronic Caliper I got from Harbor Freight for $10 and they are off by .0005. When using ply wood I have to drill the 2nd time from the back so the Blade won't hang up. It's matching the Blade with the Drill bit.

IKE