A Steve Good alphabet puzzle

dansnow

Was happy to receive this latest offering from Steve Good in my inbox this morning. We'd been looking for a couple new educational type things to add to our inventory and this fit in exactly.

It was an interesting cut, the top is 1/2" maple and the backer is 1/4" black walnut.

post-17477-0-01210900-1398917588_thumb.jpg

Edited by dansnow

I started using food coloring on wooden toys as it made parents more comfortable letting young ones play with them. They do require a clear coating over the dye to seal it.

I had looked into tints at a couple different woodworking shops, and for what they charge for a 2 oz bottle I can make a couple gallons using the food coloring and alcohol.

I would have never cut that pattern, as it just didn't appeal to me, very much, but you just changed my mind.  I also have used food coloring on my 'trout' intarsia and I liked the way it turns out Never used the denatured alcohol with it. Might check that out and give that a try too. You did a great job on this one too

Dick

heppnerguy

Dan, what is denatured alcohol I have never heard of it?

Marg

1. Denatured alcohol or methylated spirits is ethanol that has additives to make it poisonous, extremely bad tasting, foul smelling or nauseating, to discourage recreational consumption. In some cases it is also dyed.Denatured alcohol is used as a solvent and as fuel for spirit burners and camping stoves.

I use it instead of water because it dries very quickly and doesn't seem to raise  the grain as much. I didn't realize the some of it is dyed as the stuff I get at Lowes is clear. You can find it with all the other paint thinners and solvents in the paint section.