7 Inch Swag Bowl and an Elephant with Calf tray puzzle

DWSUDEKUM

The tray puzzle was cut from 3/4 inch oak and has a 1/4 inch backer.  It was finished with Tung Oil.

Elephant_puzzle_and_swag_bowl_001.jpg

Elephant_puzzle_and_swag_bowl_002.jpg

The 7 inch swag bowl was a total salvage job.  A painted board was given to me and I was told it was a pine board.  I stripped the paint and I found one of those commercial ready to paint glue up boards.  This board had some great graining so I decided to use it for a bowl.  I also had a scrap piece of spanish cedar.  This bowl is 7 in in diameter, 4 inches tall and was sealed with Tung Oil and top coated with Shellac.

Elephant_puzzle_and_swag_bowl_003.jpg

Elephant_puzzle_and_swag_bowl_004.jpg

Elephant_puzzle_and_swag_bowl_005.jpg

DW

I really like your puzzle Idea. I know that i will be using this technique on my next puzzle. Thank for the great idea. By the way, you did another wonderful job with it. The bowl is absolutely outstanding. Excuse my ignorance, but I am going to plead this one to "There are no stupid questions here", is the bowl turned for scrolled ?

Dick

heppnerguy

I really like your puzzle Idea. I know that i will be using this technique on my next puzzle. Thank for the great idea. By the way, you did another wonderful job with it. The bowl is absolutely outstanding. Excuse my ignorance, but I am going to plead this one to "There are no stupid questions here", is the bowl turned for scrolled ?

Dick

heppnerguy

The bowl is totally scrolled Dick.  The rings were 5/16 inch wide and cut with the table left side down at 22.6 degrees.  Concentric rings were cut and then stacked and glued up.  I then sanded it.  This is a really simple bowl as bowls go.  Cutting at an angle takes practice but is relatively simple to do.

DW

Amazing all of your work is amazing.  You have to promise me that if you ever get me in an ornament exchange at Christmas you will send me a box or a bowl, I will not settle for anything else.  Love you work DW. :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

Marg

i purchased the wooden bowls book ,just getting up my courage to do some, i hope mine turn out as nice as yours , great work  :D

John I too started out using Carole's book for inspiration I still refer to it from time to time.  Making bowls with a scroll saw is really just limited to your abilities and imagination.  You should have seen my first attempt at a bowl... it was not pretty however it caused me to want to try another, they can be addictive :)  Looking forward to seeing yours when you get it done.

DW