Dust collectors

Stogies

I know this has been discussed here before ....I am sure.... :) Can anyone give me recommendations for a dust collection system for my new shop? I will have a scroll saw, sander, spindle sander, table saw, drill press, small joiner, small plainner....any and all help on the topic is wanted...big, small indifferant , just want know what is working for you guys...... :D Thanks Duane

Duane,  " Thats 'me' "  :lol:    But I don't hire out, got all the dust I want to collect.

Good luck on your search. There are good systems available.

A good reliable vacuum ends your search. The rest is elementry Duane.

Just a bag, piping, valves,,,etc

Larry

There is only one system that works ,seriously ,That is, one that collects the dust at the source and romoves and traps ,& in the perfect world sends it outside . This means (vac.and expell it),not blow it around .not easy or simple to do ,the key word here is at the source .central systems 4" or larger 2hp w/ fein style collectors work well for large volume Table saws , jointer, planers ,routers large sanders Etc .Do they get all ? ,no way!! overhead cleaners are a big help ,filters need changed frequently and are (or can be expensive )Portables ,most comon w/ dust devil type add on .I close looped my scroll saw ,all vac. no blowers or fans  I have yet to see a dust free shop , cfm is key .A Round open unobstructed shop (which no one has  )with a large exhaust fan would be the easiest best configureation for dust removal And the coldest to operate in .Large volume negitive low pressure sucion with filtered intake ,much like a car paint booth . Hardest and most bedeviling part of a shop .Any thing that gets thru any system that exhausts back onto the shop is a dust blower pure and simple. and moves any extra dust around and a round .Your cheapest easiest ,in MHO is a quiet portable vac w/a fien style or dust devil large fines chamber move tool to tool and get a good mask . I am afraid that is the long and the short of the dust paradox ! Adding insult to injury ,the smallest dust is your enemy not the big stuff .vapors and fumes and sub micron dust .

Like the old fellow told the traveler THERE Ain't  No Good way to GET there from HERE! Pack a lunch ,it's going to take a while!

In the mean time ,buy a good mask ! Enjoy the ride!

Edited by Multifasited

Duane

Here is a start:

http://www.scrollsawvillage.com/topic/7141-dust-collection/

Do some cruising on prior posts.  A lot of talented folks and given a lot of good ideas on dust collection.  I am not fond of the EX21 dust collection system.  The pictures you see are of my green EX21.  I have the black EX21 now and use the same dust collection as I did on my green EX21 rather than the dust collection system which came with the EX21.  You will find several comments about folks not being extremely fond of the EX21 dust collection system.  None of this helps with DC on your other toys but maybe gives you some ideas.  Main thing is just to do something to protect your lungs and keep tweaking it to make it work better; this includes always wearing a dust mask.   Whatever you do, I strongly recommend using the Oneida Dust Deputy between your vacuum and your tool.  It is amazing how much it collects and how little gets through to the vacuum - you seldom have to check or clean your vacuum filter.

I use a small delta dust collector. I use it mainly for my spindle sander when doing intarsia. It helps keep most of the fine dust out of the air. It is ducted to several tools but the sander is the main reason. I also have air filtration I run when sanding. The dust collector is not hooked to my scroll saw though. Having this has definitely helped me control the dust. And my lungs can tell too

I recently installed a Harbor Freight Dust Collector to my shop.  I will be adding a overhead filtering system at some point to catch the airborne dust.  The system I have works for the various machines, and even though the Scroll Saw really doesn't lend itself to good dust collection, the system does help.  As previously stated, there is no perfect system, so we all do the best that we can. Nothing will catch all the fine dust, and I find that as I mostly do Intarsia, I throw ALOT of fine dust.  Since adding the system, I get less dust on the floor, but it still needs to be swept daily.

Not sure on the price, but google harbor freight tools and look all all they have.I sat in front of an a.c. intake ,central system  with paper pleated filters. and it collected every thin light .the heavys fell to the floor.The filters lasted good and when they bowed in I vacuumed them clean as I could and was good to go again long time. :)

I have a 2 HP Grizzly dust collector with 2.5 micron bag filter and it lets dust through it so I put it outside my shop and build a small shelter  for it.  Quieter also.  I still need to sweep the floor often.  I have a, ceiling mounted, filter box that cleans the air quickly.  You will find that a permanent duct system will cost as much as the dust collector does... or more.

Edited by Jim Finn

I got it for 209 about a month ago.  It goes on sale often, and you can always get a coupon for 20-25% off one item.  You will need hose and fittings, but DO NOT get them at Harbor Freight.  Their hose is a pain to put over their fittings.  one or the other is simply off on the size.  Ran light weight PVC with drops where needed.  The collector says its a 2 hp unit, and only a 5 micron bag, but you can get a new bag from other places down as small as 1 micron. (recommended) So far, it has helped tremendously during sanding.  That's where most of my dust comes from.