Delta Problems

DonR

A couple of years ago, I purchased a Delta 40-690 scroll saw which worked fine for about one year. Then it developed a really loud knocking and banging and vibration. It was repaired, under warranty by Delta but very soon after developed the same problems. Again it was repaired under warranty but developed the same problems again. Then eventually the motor stopped working. At this point Delta replaced the machine, under warranty with a newer model, Model 40-695. This lasted a couple of months then developed the same problem as the 690. Again it was repaired by Delta under warranty but this time it lasted about 1 week now it is knocking, banging and vibrating again. Now Delta are not returning my calls.
I was wondering if anyone else has experienced similar problems with Delta machines and if so, how were the problems resolved.
Thanks for any help or advice.
Don R

I would first go to Ricks'scrollsaw site ,post him .I'll bet he can steer you right .There is some thing goofy about all this .

Thanks for the tip. I have emailed Rick and will let you know what  the outcome is. I agree there is something really goofy here and very frustrating especially when the closest repair shop is a 50 or 60 mile round trip.

Don R

Now that i think about your troubles i bought a new in the box dremil 1830. used it a year and the linking arm wore out and caused the blades to be to long .i keep snipping off a 1/4" at a time so i could get tention but finally exceeded the limits of that. i just wanted to keep scrolling.i sent it back days of the expiration date for the warranty.they sent a brand new one which lasted two months .i requested al linking arm, top arm and bushings which they sent. i put the parts in and there it sit's years now collecting dust.I've gone thru a few saw since,got to keep scrolling.i learned the hard way to always have a back up saw to stay happy.i three back up right now, the dremil and two dewalts .one dewalt is brand new never used! :) :) :)

There has to be something amiss ,there is a simple answer ,you don't fix a problem even temporarly .with out some indication of the problem ,seems to me there are too many out there for this to be more than a quirk. sounds like the (Idiot senario of doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different conclusion) .some thing simple is a miss and will be found .Too bad you had to be the recipiente of the feasco .I have worked on all kinds of equipment alll my live seems the simpliest in the end is the hardest to fix , you just seem to be looking for the wrong thing in the beginning ,patience and I be willing to bet you will end up happy as well as educated .That is my hope for you !!

I found  and solved the problem. With advice from Hotshot (Randy) on the other forum, I found this video

The video is a must watch if you own a Delta or DeWalt. The problem was that the needle bearings located at the end of the motor shaft were lacking grease. One of them had old, crusty grease and the other had no evidence of ever being greased. After greasing the bearings the machine is very quiet at speeds below 6 and still has a little noise and vibration at top speed. The video provides a source for the bearings and they are very inexpensive ($21 for three kits). I have ordered the bearings so that I can replace them when they do  fail which I expect to happen eventually since they have run for so long without grease.

If you own a Delta or DeWalt you really should watch the video

Don R