Yellow Jackets are out!

Ken O

Had the small door on the garage open last night, finally getting some good weather. Sitting at the saw and I see this thing all of a sudden buzzing my left cheek just on the edge of my vision. WAAAA!!! HOLY &*%$#!. Big fat yellow jacket! Killed that one and went back to the saw and a couple minutes later, same thing, buzzed my ear! Hit that one with the dust pan and had to go find it in the corner. The third time I decided to close the door and apparently I trapped a fourth one in the garage with me. Every one of them had to buzz my head. I'm not allergic but having one fly right in your face is not cool!  

Buzzed Ken  :grr:

I would find the nest and kill the lot I really don't know what use these things are in the world except to sting you. I have a bees nesting in my workshop in between the insulation and  I let them carry on because they are useful to my garden and won't hurt you unless you grab them.Ken I would wait until dusk when they have settled down for the night spray them and run like hell. :lol:

Roly

you can also buy yellow jacket traps and set up a couple of those. they are cheap and work great, that is, if you can not locate their nests. Hey you could go find their nests and start shooting it with rubber bands, then maybe they would decide it is not worth pestering you and find someone else.. On second thought, I think I would just do the spry at night and run like hell, suggestion that Roly made

Dick

heppnerguy

Hi Ken, Are these Bee's or Hornit's your talking about?, Going by your heading on

the post I thought you were talking about Men in their Hi-Vis Vest's coming at you!

Bob  :shock:  ;)

Bob,

People call them different things, this is what they are.post-1865-0-96324600-1400270772_thumb.jpg

But these were FAT and larger than a regular one. Took a full home run swing from the dustpan, hit the wall and still had enough muscle to still try to fly away! There must be a nest nearby, I'll take care of them tonight.

The yellow jackets that we have nest underground and they are very nasty and aggressive. If you find the hole, wait until dusk, squirt a little Delta Dust in the hole, cover it with a rock and no more Yellowjackets, at least from that hole.

Don R

Ken go to your local Grocer and pick up some standard ordinary run of the mill Cloves crush them up a bit and put them on little dishes around your shop and you'll never see another Wasp, Yellow Jacket, Hornet or what ever you call it, they absolutely hate the smell of Cloves try it. Take my word for it I live in the tropics where there is at least a 100 sub species of every insect known to us northern folks.

I'll never forget the day that I actually stuck my bare hand inside of a Yellow Jackets nest/hive. I was cleaning up a blow down years ago, and like DonR stated they were the underground type (real mean

suckers). When I reached into some brush to get the last block of wood, I accidentally reached in the nest, it didn't take long to realize what I'd done. I got out of there as fast as possible, which still wasn't fast enough, cause I got stung twice.

Len

I'll never forget the day that I actually stuck my bare hand inside of a Yellow Jackets nest/hive. I was cleaning up a blow down years ago, and like DonR stated they were the underground type (real mean

suckers). When I reached into some brush to get the last block of wood, I accidentally reached in the nest, it didn't take long to realize what I'd done. I got out of there as fast as possible, which still wasn't fast enough, cause I got stung twice.

Len

Sorry Len I burst out laughing when I got to that bit ( which still wasn't fast enough, cause I got stung twice. ) funny, thanks for that. Roly

The yellow jackets that we have nest underground and they are very nasty and aggressive. If you find the hole, wait until dusk, squirt a little Delta Dust in the hole, cover it with a rock and no more Yellowjackets, at least from that hole.

Don R

Another way is to take a small plastic bowl and turn it upside down over the hole and weigh it down with a brick. In 2 days the nest starves to death and the queen with it. Do it late in the evening when the yellow jackets are less active and your less likely to get stung. It beats pouring gas down the nest hole. 

sully