Shop vac?

Stogies

Answer 1)

I have two, a Sears and a Shop-Vac.

The Sears nozzels are less than desireable,

The Shop-vac sometimes blows out dust. (Yes, I clean it)

Answer 2)

They do ok

Answer 3)

If I had $$$ I'd do a search... I don't know

Answer 4)

Have a slated floor for the sawdust and wood chips fall thru into a bin.

I have 2 shop vacs one I don't want the other is OK noise is issue and as said above dust comes out the exhaust after a while. Had a junk of something come out today. I do clean the filter but that is the way of the beast. I would like a real dust collector but money and I don't think the electric would take it either. So for now the shop vac will do it.

I have a Fein which is fine, but expensive.  Kevin is right on Dust Deputy.  I have an Oneida Dust Deputy between my vac and dust collection point and you do not get sawdust blow by from your vac and rarely ever need to clean your vac filter.  The Fein is one of the more quiet vacs but I do wear hearing protection.  If looking for a vac I suggest ignoring horsepower ratings and looking solely at decibels and suction - cfm - cubic feet per minute and to make sure you get something with over 100 cfm. 

I have two, both Ridgid. They are similar (16 gallon) although slightly different in design. The work well and do what I need them to do. The down side is they are noisy and since I use one of them for dust collection, I have to clean the filter often. These seem to be comparable to many others on the market in that price range.

I have 2, both Shop Vac branded. In the shop I use the 3.5 gallon "hang-up" model. 

post-18045-0-82546500-1400514956_thumb.jpg

This model comes with a hose that's long enough to reach anywhere in my shop. I like that and the fact that it doesn't take up any floor space. In a small shop floor space is a critical resource. If I have a project somewhere else in the house it comes off the wall easily.

Like all Shop Vacs they are noisy and a pain to change filters and empty. Anything with propritory parts is always a pain.

I have a second one, a 5 gallon (that I keep clean) for use when we get water in the house. I have two corners on the north end of the house that get some water in the spring.

I also have a ShopSmith dust collector that's on wheels and I use it on most of my equipment, the table saw, jointer, router table, disk and belt sanders and scroll saw. Pictured it's attached to my shopmade downdraft sanding table.

post-18045-0-21402700-1400515729_thumb.jpg

Here I'm using it with the scroll saw. The dust collector hose is at the bottom right, drawing air/dust from the bottom of the saw. I think you can see the clamp holding it to the bench. I also use a 12" box fan that has a 3M furnace filter attached. It sits just to the left of the saw.

post-18045-0-58387300-1400515868_thumb.jpg

I don't spend time thinking about "what I'd really like because it ain't gonna happen".

Shop vacs are just that SHOP VACS. I have burned up 6 good ones over the years trying to use them as dust vacs. if you plan to "hook " it up to a large power tool or your scrollsaw get a dust collection system and set it up the way you want. I have spent over $1000 for shop vacs over the years and a dust collection system is by far cheaper in the long run. 2 bag system is better with cyclonic chip collector inline. My chip collector holds 55 gallon  .Also a remote control is a must have.

sully

I have a shop Vac, I think it's a craftsman. lots of suctiion, no problem there. The only thing I hate, absolutley hate is the 4 wheels that go wherever they want to go, not where I want it to go. I want it to follow me and it scurries off in a corner and gets caught on a table leg or something else. SO annoying, I think I'm going to take 2 wheels off and put straight ones on it.