I made it, now what?

Travis

I saw a post from heppnerguy where he made a farm sign, but didn't know what to do with it.  It got me to thinking.  I make a lot of things without knowing what I'm going to do with it.  I make it because I either think it's a neat project, or to see if I can do it.  Do you do the same?  Or do you always have a plan for the final piece?  What are some examples of your projects without a purpose?  Why did you make it?  What did you eventually do with it?

I make a lot things because it looks like fun. I try and sell them at craft sales. some times I keep them up for sale for a couple of years, there is always some one that would like the project, I will market it down if someone really looks like it is something they would like and I can see they think it is more than they would like to pay, but most things will sell sooner or later.. Or I give them away, but I had fun making it.

IKE

I agree with ike.

At least 2/3 of what I make had no real reason; except that is what the wood wants to be!

Woodworking is to relieve the stress caused by all the controlling of our lives. The purpose is to give us a freedom that we otherwise always have to surrender for one reason or another!

Make what you like and not worry about it! Just enjoy doing it!

Edited by rjR

Oh wow, this could be a long story.

I have at least 100 finished and if you count duplicates, at least 150.

I'm running out of room to store.

They are all what I wanted to cut. A pattern that caught my eye.

Projects without a 'planned' purpose.

I am finishing up my 9th cribbage board. I don't have anyone to play cribbage with.

Don't know any local cribbage players. Hey, and I have two others in beginning stages.

I see then as beautiful works, a cribbage board surrounding different scroll patterns.

I've cut animals wild and tame for the beauty they have in wood.

I saw a gear clock by Steve Good. I made 14, different woods, different shades,

because I liked them. I think I sold 3 or 4, have 4 left, gave the others away.

Baskets are easy, I stopped making them when my Wife said, " STOP ".

Roly got me intp crosses... I give them away but still have a bunch on a shelf.

Enough you say...

Larry

I started out  wood working making fireplace bellows, just because it was a challenge for me.  I made another and another to refine the end product and my method of making it.  I gave away about twenty-five of them and sold about ten.  I still like making them and now have about ten in stock.  I learned that I have two choices when I make something.  Sell it or burn it.  Now I only make items that I think will sell and that I enjoy making.  I sell 100% of what I make except for a few items my wife kept for in our house.  I make and sell well over four hundreds items a year and about that many that I give away. (Toys)  So I no longer make just what I like.  I only make what I like to make and will sell.

Most of what I make is what I see as interesting. I usually keep it for myself. I have no other plan for any of it. I guess the exception to that is the picture of my parents and in-laws. Dad really liked it, the in-laws I don't have done yet.

Most of the time I spend in the shop is on projects for someone. (Keep in mind most are not scroll saw projects. I understand SSV is first and foremost a scroll saw forum - but so far no one has told me to leave.)  I'm working on a bathroom vanity now. Whether I'm making a wine cabinet, coat rack or sliding shelfs for someone's kitchen, each project has home in the end and I know it when I start.

With my scroll saw projects each has be done to entertain me. I have the wooden gear clock. I don't even have a place to hang it. It's in a spare bedroom lol.  That's what I like about scroll work - it's fun.

If I see something I like that I think will be snapped up quickly I make it and you can bet it is still sitting in a cupboard or drawer 2 years latter.  :sad:  If I see something that I think is hard to do I like to do it JUST FOR ME and you can bet someone wants one. :curse:   If I decide it is a hard one to cut I cut 2, one for me and one to sell, yeah you got it, I end up with both. :cry:  Just can't seem to win.

Marg

My favorite things to make are the more detailed toys, toys suited more to older children or mantle displays than rough sandbox usage. Unfortunately unless I have a request before hand, those are liable to stay with me for a while. My flatbed tractor trailer with working crane took almost 18 months to sell. So I limit myself on projects like that.

I have learned over the last couple years which things are more likely to sell and try to keep them in stock while adding one or two new items each fair to see what sells and doesn't.

Well I thought I was different but it looks as though most scrollers make things because a pattern attracts them I do it simply because it challenges me, it keeps my mind of other things and it stops me from wasting my time in front of the tv. I have well over a hundred pieces so far and they seem to multiply daily I have no plan as to what to do with it all I give most of it away, my grand children love me. After the initial outlay for the saw there really is very little expense so I would rate this as a fairly cheap hobby I could spend more going to a bar daily so I'll keep cutting. Christmas time charities are a great time for me the thin out my stock.

I should add another note to my thought on this.

I do not watch much TV-- drink much--- like to "shop". I usually am either reading or making sawdust! Sometimes doing research on computrt or bothering the wood or antique tractor forums also is interesting.

Both are therapy an help keep me still thinking.

We need to do what we like to do. A woodworking project; even if, just for us, gives a feeling of accomplishment

I give a lot of stuff away and sell a little; I do not do it to make money. If I can stay even and score some new shop supplies, equipment every onec in a while, I call it GOOD!>

How many golfers-- fishermen-- hunters-- etc-- TV couch potatoes can even be close to that?!

I make things that either interest me or I think up, I don't take requests or sell anything because I don't like the feeling of having to make something. If my wife likes it she will find a place for it, if not it will stay in the garage or the spare bedroom where sometimes she uses them as gifts for her friends. I just enjoy the " making" process. Sometimes I talk to people and something in their life will inspire me to make them something to give them which comes as a total surprise and I love that feeling.

Ok Ok. Now I have to respond.  I too make things because I enjoy scrolling more than any other thing that I do for myself. However, I also use the items I make for many of our gifts. If it isn't Christmas or a birthday or an anniversary or a wedding, or a graduation or any other reason to make a gift, then it is a sale request from my Facebook wood working page that motivates me. I do make many things just to add something new to my facebook page, because it puts my page to all my 'likes' people. I love to give away my new items if I can keep it away from my wife of my grown kids. Just a few minutes ago one of my granddaughters came over to our house to ride one of her horses and she came into the shop to see what I was making and walked out with one of my decorative wine gift boxes. Often I will add a  new item that I made to my page and I receive an order for one of two almost as soon as I post it. So I keep busy and enjoy my hobby but once  in awhile I bang something out just for something new to make  and before I start it, I already know that it most likely will not be something any one I know will be very interested in. I keep my extras on a pegboard in my shop and if anyone comes in my shop I tell them if they see anything they would like to have, they are welcome to take it. Sometimes someone will ask me if I have anything I would like to donate for a fund raiser and I just tell them to take all anything on my pegboard. I really am not interested in having boxes of finished things in storage because that serves no one any good, in my eyes and I already have too much stuff in our storage building as it is.  So that's my story and I'm stickin to it

Dick

heppnerguy

I like to make things that I like the looks of. I do a lot of simple wildlife portraits, a lot of religious things and a lot of Christmas ornaments. Right now I am getting ready for a festival in August. It has been several years since I sat up at a festival but going to try a couple this year and see how it goes. I sell a lot of stuff where I work but like a lot of you I mainly do it because I enjoy doing it. It is just my way of relaxing and if someone orders something I try not to set a real tight deadline. I try to keep my prices reasonable and like some of you make enough to cover costs and add a few things to my shop. Yes I forgot to mention my wife is always finding stuff she has to have me make LOL.

I like to make things that I like the looks of. I do a lot of simple wildlife portraits, a lot of religious things and a lot of Christmas ornaments. Right now I am getting ready for a festival in August. It has been several years since I sat up at a festival but going to try a couple this year and see how it goes. I sell a lot of stuff where I work but like a lot of you I mainly do it because I enjoy doing it. It is just my way of relaxing and if someone orders something I try not to set a real tight deadline. I try to keep my prices reasonable and like some of you make enough to cover costs and add a few things to my shop. Yes I forgot to mention my wife is always finding stuff she has to have me make LOL.

Well Dan,

There is nothing more important than keeping the little  woman happy. like they say, "If mammy ain't happy, ain't no one  happy" :)