Storage for blades

Forester

My blades come in ziptop bags and I have a small plastic tote type thing--like kids use for pencil boxes. 

As I am not a frequent blade changer; (DO NOT DO extremely fine work) this works well for me.

I could get along fine with pin end blades.

I also use the 5" tall pill bottles. Mine came from Walgreens. If you are a good customer, simply asking for them will get you new, unused bottles and caps free. Each bottle will easily hold several gross of any size 5" long scroll saw blades, if you should ever try to fill them. I unwrap a dozen blades at a time and just leave the loose ones in the same bottle. My fingers are big, so getting blades out of smaller tubes is a pain for me, so this works well for me. I made a BB plywood kind of tool box to carry bottles of blades and my scroll saw accessory tools. One end of the box is partitioned to allow space for 12 of these pill bottles. When doing demonstrations and classes, etc, I just take the bottles containing the blades that I will most likely be using in this box with me. The rest remain in a similar larger box in my shop. You can buy round sticker labels, even in different colors, from the stationery stores that fit the lids of these bottles very well, so labeling the contents is easy, and can be changed easily. Labeling the bottle tops makes it easy to choose the one that you want from a crowded tool box too, but I always drop the paper label that comes with them  from Wooden Teddy Bear, into the bottle, in case I should ever loose track of the cap DAMHIKT. It sometimes also helps when it's time to re-order blades to get the exact same ones ordered.

Charley

Edited by CharleyL

I store mine in tall perscription pill type bottles, some are a orange color and some blue with a flip top, i am sure you have seen the type.

I took a piece of inch thick pine and cut holes big enough for the bottles to fit into so they dont fall over.  i tale the label onto the bottles so i know what blades they are, also makes reordering easy.

I do the PVC with cap on top and bottom 5 inches roughly which decreases spillage hate when that happens. I have them in a wood box like with open on front and back and closed on sides. Drilled holes in the in the top to put blades holds 12 tubes. I have it fastented to th leg of the saw stand and it can be moved out of way when sawing and rotated out when need blade. another option I found was they will fit in the mini M&M container tube and it is fun to prepare them for use if the kids don't eat the M's first. Sorry I never can figure out how to up load pic to post and don't even have a photo program anymore.

I have most of my blades in the bags they came in stuck in a drawer in my shop. I pretty much only use one type anymore (#3 Ultra Reverse Flying Duchman)

I have a glass butter dish that I picked up at a thrift sale that reminded me of one my grandma used to use. I glued a couple of magnets to the bottom and stick a dozen blades at a time on for me to use. 

I've made this little box with drilled holes from a bottom runner on a skid. post-18045-0-58804000-1464274483_thumb.jpg But it doesn't hold many blades, has fallen off the bench and drove me crazy, and every years it's more difficult to read the labels I stamped into the wood.

I sure wish there were more pictures in this thread. But as my Dad told me if wishes were horses beggars would ride.  

I'm organizationally impaired and will really need to make something new when I finish the basement remodel I'm working on.