New Cutting "Room"

Iguanadon

When we moved into this new home almost 2 months ago, I set up a temporary cutting area by hanging plastic in order to control the dust and it has worked very well (see attached pic named FIRST VERSION).  So I decided to make a slightly less temporary version.

I saw this system (ZipWall) and really liked the spring loaded poles and the simplicity of it.  I actually found them to be cheaper from Home Depot and ordered them online and they arrived at my house in only a few days.  I ordered 2 sets of 2 poles, I didn't need the 4 pole kit which included a carry bag and other items I didn't want.

http://www.zipwall.com/xcart/

With the new layout I was able to re-gain the use of the entry door into the garage that I had originally enclosed within my first version.

For entry into and out of the plastic room I simply taped on an extra flap over the "door way"  as a way to reduce dust from leaking out the opening.

The nice things are that I have more space in there, I'll be able to vent my portable AC thru the small doorway rather than having to raise the garage door slightly and best of all, if I change my idea or want to do something different, it's very simple to move things around.

post-29379-0-40963000-1477406885_thumb.jpg

post-29379-0-43861100-1477406893_thumb.jpg

post-29379-0-34814800-1477406901_thumb.jpg

post-29379-0-40130300-1477406908_thumb.jpg

post-29379-0-74222000-1477407227_thumb.jpg

Edited by Iguanadon

Nice setup!

I also do woodcarving. Cut basswood with a bandsaw. That creates a fine, sticky sawdust that coats EVERYTHING. Screwed 2X4s to the ceiling and hung a blue tarp to form 2 sides in the corner of the garage. For the "door" side flap, I bolted a 1X4 on each side of the bottom for weight. The belt sander is also in there.

Being Catholic, we refer to it as a Confessional.

Normally I work with the garage door closed, as our condo unit has the detached garages in a row. One time I just went out there briefly to use the sander for just a second and didn't close the garage door. Just as I was coming out of the enclosure, a young Lady walked by, looked in and saw me coming out. She got the prettiest smile on her face. I'm pretty sure she thought she knew what I just finished doing in there.

jerry

Edited by jerry1939

That's an interesting set up you've got.  I'm just curious if your using any kind of dust collection?  I've actually thought of doing something like this in the spare room in my house.

I bought a Dust Deputy and a ShopVac (seen in pics) but I haven't done anything with them.  I've had no issues and haven't felt the need to try to set anything up.  

Sure, I have dust all over the floor and on the saw and the little shelving unit, but personally I don't care.  I sweep it up every few weeks.

Scott looks like an oxygen tent can you breath in there is it hot??? Roly

I haven't had any issues the past 2 months, but it has been summer time and I run the portable AC to keep cool in there.  Now that fall is here, I hope to be able to work in there without it, but may have to turn the fan on to circulate the air a little.  I do have a gap over the grey wall cabinet.  I didn't totally enclose it as I didn't want Mrs. Ig to come out and find me dead on my stool.  :-)

I bought a Dust Deputy and a ShopVac (seen in pics) but I haven't done anything with them.  I've had no issues and haven't felt the need to try to set anything up.  

Sure, I have dust all over the floor and on the saw and the little shelving unit, but personally I don't care.  I sweep it up every few weeks.

Looks to me if you have dust on floor and on the saw there is dust in the air also.  I think I would hook up a dust collection system also.  Just my 2 cents worth.

Looks to me if you have dust on floor and on the saw there is dust in the air also.  I think I would hook up a dust collection system also.  Just my 2 cents worth.

Oh, there's definitely dust, but it isn't escaping the plastic bubble and that's all I care about.  I can sweep it up when it gets ankle deep in there.  ;-)  

The issue with dust collection is noise.  I enjoy the peacefulness of sitting and cutting and only hearing the hum of the saw.

I have thought about setting something up in the attic space above my work area and I may pursue that eventually.

When we moved into this new home almost 2 months ago, I set up a temporary cutting area by hanging plastic in order to control the dust and it has worked very well (see attached pic named FIRST VERSION).  So I decided to make a slightly less temporary version.

I saw this system (ZipWall) and really liked the spring loaded poles and the simplicity of it.  I actually found them to be cheaper from Home Depot and ordered them online and they arrived at my house in only a few days.  I ordered 2 sets of 2 poles, I didn't need the 4 pole kit which included a carry bag and other items I didn't want.

http://www.zipwall.com/xcart/

With the new layout I was able to re-gain the use of the entry door into the garage that I had originally enclosed within my first version.

For entry into and out of the plastic room I simply taped on an extra flap over the "door way"  as a way to reduce dust from leaking out the opening.

The nice things are that I have more space in there, I'll be able to vent my portable AC thru the small doorway rather than having to raise the garage door slightly and best of all, if I change my idea or want to do something different, it's very simple to move things around.

your doing a good job .If you can smell saw dust change what your doing.

Nice simple system.

I picked up a couple of Zipwall poles and a Fast cap third hand at a yard sale. It was at the end of the day and the guy said to just take them. I couldn't do that so I gave him $10 for them.

http://www.rockler.com/fastcap-3rd-hand-hd-extension-2-pack?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=&utm_content=pla&utm_campaign=PL&sid=V9146&gclid=COSFw-TD-M8CFYxahgodvYAOJA

https://www.amazon.com/ZipWall-KT20-20-Foot-Spring-Loaded-Barriers/dp/B00004UFZX/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1477487155&sr=8-5&keywords=zipwall+poles

As you can see I still made out very well.

Edited by Rolf